Why wash an area rug? A clean rug has brighter, clearer colors and the wool glistens. If this isn’t enough, washing a rug also protects your long term investment. When a soiled rug is used, soil particles cut the fibers and accelerate wear. Usually, the combination of the solvent action of the detergent and the mechanical actions of the washing and cleaning process are sufficient to remove this collection of substances.
A rug can be permanently, and perhaps adversely, affected by washing. Generally, the risk is worthwhile. But it is best to understand and evaluate the risk before the area rug gets washed and cleaned. One major and very severe risk that can ruin the rug completely is running or bleeding colors. This risk is greatest where there are large areas of white or light-colored pile, or white areas next to red or orange pile.
Before washing, test for color fastness. Use a clean, white fabric, moistened with a solution of detergent and water. Rub each color vigorously to see if any color transfers to the test cloth. This test is very important. A rug can be ruined if light-colored areas are stained with other colors. If the test cloth picks up a lot of color, do not wash the area rug.
Colors are very likely to run or wash out and the silk will lose shimmer if you attempt the wash silk rugs. If the rug shows that the colors are running, it may be best to send the rug to a stain removal specialist or area rug cleaning professional. If there is only a very light transfer of color to the test cloth, then there is still some risk in washing the area rug.
Here is some advice that will help you better understand the risk of bleeding colors on your area rug:
- If the color of your rug has light colors only and only light colors transfer during the test, it is possible that your rug is running, but serious damage is unlikely.
- If the color of the rug is only of dark colors and only light colors transfer during the test, then you should be fine. But if dark colors transfer during the test, running is possible.
- If the area rug is predominately of light colors with a few dark areas and only light colors transfer, running is possible, but serious damage is unlikely.
- If dark colors transfer, running is possible.
- And finally, if the color of the area rug is predominately dark, with a few light areas and only light colors transfer, running is possible, but serious damage is unlikely.
- If the dark colors transfer during the test, running is possible as well.
Area Rugs are valued all over the world for their beauty, warmth and artistry. They are more than just floor coverings; they are works of “ART”, weaving’s of unprecedented craftsmanship and family heirlooms. Take care and protect your investment overtime and you will be rewarded with a rug that’ll last a lifetime, generation after generation.
For more information on tips, ideas, and advice on everything you need to know about your area rugs, make sure to visit our website at: http://refinedrugrestoration.com/rug-cleaning-orange-county
Original Source: http://orange-county-rug-cleaners.com/dye-bleeding-the-effects-of-bad-area-rug-cleaning-and-ways-to-prevent-it/